ROASTED TURNIPS - healthy low-carb alternative to potatoes


The Man and I are currently trying to shed those pesky pounds that crept up on us in college (somewhere in between him eating burritos for all four daily meals and me eating fried chicken like it was good for me we both got puffy around the middle).

So, we said a sad goodbye to potatoes, the Man's favorite food group, aside from pizza and meat.  We also said a sad goodbye to my favorite condiment/spice/dipping sauce/deliciousness: butter.  We miss all of the good stuff like that, but we don't miss the pounds we've already lost, so we're sticking to the plan, which is pretty much a no-carb diet.

I know turnips aren't as low-glycemic and low starch as some of their relatives, but we were about to hit the breaking point where we order in a Casey's pizza and pass out in a carb-induced stupor while watching reruns of The Office, so turnips had to do.  They're almost like potatoes when you make them this way.  Almost.

time: 5 mins. prep - 30 minutes to roast
makes: approx. 2 cups
YOU WILL NEED:

2 medium sized turnips
2 tsp. oil for roasting (I use walnut)
cracked black pepper
salt (I can't stop my addiction to Lawry's- that's what I used)



Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler, then slice them like you would slice a potato - into 1/4 inch thin pieces.

Put the pieces on a baking sheet and toss them with the oil.  Spread them out so that they aren't touching (if you don't spread them out, you'll end up with steamed/baked turnips instead of roasted ones).  Sprinkle them with the salt and pepper.

Pop them in a 400' oven and let them roast for about 20 minutes, then check on them every 5 minutes or so until they are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment