EASY FRESH PEACH PIE






When we were kids, my mom used to stop at the farmer's market every summer Thurdsay and pick up a fresh peach pie.  It was all I could do to not scoop out some of that gooey spiced filling with my bare hand and willingly reap the consequences of depriving my family of pie.  It was that good. 

Now, don't get me wrong, my mom is the best cook I knowand made almost everything from scratch, but there are two things she never made for us.  One of those things was peach pie, the other was goulash.  The latter we kids knew was due to a tiff she and Dad had when they were newlyweds.  One day, she proudly served him up his favorite dish- goulash- and he promptly told her to ask his mother for the recipe because hers was better.  My mom hasn't made it for him in 30 years.  Yes, to say the women in my family are spunky is probably an understatement.    

So, I understood why we had a goulash-free house, but I'll have to ask mom about the homemade peach pie-free zone we lived in- there's probably a good story in there somewhere.  Anyways, she always bought it, so I had to search high and low for a good recipe.  This one is sort of a Franken-recipe, as I've had to tweak it from about ten others, but I think it turned out just right- not too sweet and just enough spice!

makes: one pie
takes: about 1 hour
YOU WILL NEED:
5-6 peaches, peeled and sliced
3 T. cornstarch
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon fresh or ground ginger
(1 beaten egg optional)

2 pie crusts

*Hint, to easlily peel peaches, slice an X on the bottom of each one, then submerge in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water and rub the peach to remove the skins.

Mix sliced peaches with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together, then mix into sliced peaches.  Gently toss to coat all of the peaches in the mixture.

If you choose to, brush the bottom crust with the beaten egg to prevent crust from becoming soggy.

Pour mixture into a pie crust and top with peices of the butter.  Seal with top crust and brush with beaten egg if desired.  Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar for decoration if desired.

Bake at 350' until crust is golden and filling begins to bubble.

Cool before serving to allow the juice to gel.

No comments:

Post a Comment