CLASSIC APPLE GALETTE

http://oilandblue.blogspot.com/2015/06/easy-apple-galette.html

Apple pie is, of course, the perennial favorite of all the pies.  Whether it's a crumbly-topped Dutch Apple or a double-cruster, apple pie is definitely the king of pastries here in the U.S. of A.  I love the making and the eating, but for some reason, I can't stand the part where I have to put the crust into the pie pan.  Maybe I have a deep down suppressed fear of pie pans after some unfortunate incident with one as a child (I'm cautious around glass pop bottles after one shattered and cut me as a kid- I guess that dates me a bit, too). 

Or, maybe I like the freedom of just tossing the crust on a pan, dumping the ingredients in, and flopping the edges up.  I think I kind of understand the joy of "dump cakes" now, although I still maintain that the name should be changed.

Regardless of your stance on pies, pop bottles, or dump cakes, I think you'll like this apple galette.  It's a crowd pleaser, it's easy, and it looks like something you picked up at a french bakery. Win, win win!

p.s. That awesome table top is at 99 Bottles Winery, made by the talented and amazing Mandy Youngquist over at Youngbranch.



makes: one galette
takes: 20-30 min. prep, 40-60 min. bake
YOU WILL NEED:
1 flaky pastry crust (recipe here)
5-6 apples
1 T. butter
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. sugar or honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground or fresh grated ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom 
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. dusting sugar (raw sugar)

Preheat oven to 350'F.


Peel and slice the apples.  I like to cut the slices in half, otherwise they have a tendency to be unruly and poke through the pie crust when I fold them up.  Put them in a bowl with water and a bit of lemon juice or orange juice to keep them from browning.

Roll out the pastry crust about 1/8" thick and place onto a cookie sheet that is covered with parchment paper or lightly greased.


Drain the apples, then toss them together in the bowl with the cornstarch, spices, and honey or sugar.  There's no need to be exact with the mixing of these, just a light toss is fine- they all mix together when they're baking.  Spread the apple mixture on the center of the crust, leaving about 2" around the perimeter of the crust.


Fold the edges up over the apples.  Brush with the egg yolk and sprinkle with the dusting sugar.  Put dots of the butter on the exposed apples, then place in oven.  Bake until the crust is golden brown and the apple mixture is bubbling.  Allow to cool slightly before cutting to give the apple mixture time to gel and to allow the crust to crisp up.


No comments:

Post a Comment